Relaxing in Cancun
I am still in shock that August is pretty much over! This month went by incredibly fast and I'm SO glad that Jaren and I were able to spend a week of it in Cancun. It was indescribably gorgeous and we loved it! Neither of us had ever been, so it was fun that it was a new experience for both of us. We stayed at an all-inclusive resort which is absolutely the way to go! All food and drinks were free (and tips were included in the price) so we didn't have to worry about spending tons of money on stuff like that. The service was amazing too--we were both very happy with the resort. Our room had a balcony with a breathtaking view of the beach/ocean, so that was nice to wake up to. The weather was hot and humid, so that took a little getting used to, but we were just happy that it was sunny. The forecast said that there would be showers every day, but it didn't rain once.
We went to Isla Mujeras one day, which is a little island off the coast. We rented scooters and just rode around the island--it has been a LONG time since I've ridden a scooter, so that was so fun for me. Jaren thought for sure I was going to kill myself--I only wobbled a few times, like when my helmet flew off and I tried to put it back with one hand and steer with the other. We spent an entire day going to Chichen Itza which is like 2 1/2 hours from Cancun, but so worth seeing. On the way back, we stopped at a cenote (which is spanish for sink hole) which is basically a huge hole full of water, which doesn't sound all that great, but it was gorgeous. It was very deep in the ground and surrounds by vines and plants and the water was cold and so refreshing after being outside all day in unbelievable heat. There was a 25 foot cliff you could jump from, so Jaren and I took turns jumping in the water and taking pictures of each other. We spent the rest of our time in the pool, on the beach (where we saw several weddings take place), sleeping, watching the Olympics late at night (we have been addicted this time around), talking, and towards the end, missing our kids! Six days didn't sound like too long to be away from them when I booked it (it actually sounded really nice), but we missed them like crazy. My mom was so great to come out here for that long. It was so fun to see them again and give them little presents that we bought them.
Speaking of shopping, the most surprising thing about our trip was that everything was incredibly expensive! I wasn't necessarily expecting things to be dirt cheap, but it was really hard to buy souvenirs that we could've bought at home for half the price. I found these cute little flip flops for Anslee and the guy selling them wouldn't go below $15--and it was hard to even get him that low. My rational side told me that she would never wear them and I've never paid that much for kids shoes, much less flip flops. So I had to walk. I remember reading hotel reviews and people saying that Cancun is not the Cancun of 15 years ago and I just thought they meant that is was very commercialized now. I had no idea they meant crazy prices. I guess that helped us to not spend too much at least.
The view from our balcony--how's that for a view??
This is a throne--looks pretty uncomfortable if you ask me
The cenote and that little speck of a person is Jaren jumping in
The only reason we wanted to come home. . . We bought these crazy animal hats and they both love wearing them. Anslee likes to wear hers so that she can just barely see
7 comments:
It is so beautiful there!! I am so jealous! And by the way, I love your hat in the picture, Kristin would be proud of you.
I'm glad you had such a good time. We went there on our honeymoon and had a blast, but after seeing all your fun pictures it makes me want to go again. Maybe someday! Thanks for sharing.
Oh my gosh your trip looks like it was amazing!! Can we get together so I can hear about it in person? I love that I'm such a trendstarter by the way ;).
That looks like an amazing resort, remind me to let you book any and all travel arrangements in the future. Chichen Itza totally rocks, I'm glad someone else I know has finally gone there so we can talk about how freaking awesome it is!
Tony and I went to Cancun for the first time in Jan. We absolutely loved it. My favorite part was riding scooters at Isla M. Where did you guys stay? Looks beautiful! So glad you had a good time.
So fun!!! I'm jealous!
What fun!!! I'm so jealous. Now at least we have someone to come to when we need a "Cancun vaction planner". Looks like you hit all the right spots.
Post a Comment