Thursday, July 31, 2008

Yelling at other people's kids
That's right, I yelled at someone else's kid today and even though he deserved it, I feel so guilty! We were at the rec. center pool and this little boy who was probably a little younger than Noah was jumping off of this little rock thing into some shallow water. Noah saw him and went over, hoping to do it too. As Noah was trying to climb up onto the rock, the kid grabbed the back of Noah's life jacket and just yanked him off the rock and then slung him down into the water. Noah started crying, I think more out of shock than anything, so I went over and picked him up and started eyeing the ladies in that area wondering, who in the heck is this kid's mom? No one intervened, so I just "let it go" and put Noah down. I tryed to get Noah to go play somewhere else, but he was very interested in what this kid was doing. It was hard for me to watch Noah watch this kid with a smile on his face, wanting to participate. Noah didn't even make an attempt to climb the rock again, he was just watching and the kid charged Noah and pushed him! I got on this kid's level and very firmly said, "No pushing!" The kid went back to what he was doing and Noah continued to just watch, while I in the meantime was really trying to coax him to another part of the pool and still wondering, who in the heck is this kid's mom??? Noah did not want to go anywhere else, he was really interested in this kid jumping off the rock. So Noah continued to watch, this time from an even greater distance and the kid charges him again and pushes him!! That was it! No more nice mommy for me--I became the embarrassing mean mommy that no kid wants to claim. I went up to this kid on eye level again and very sternly said, "DO NOT TOUCH HIM!" I then turned around to the only 2 ladies in the area and incredulously said, "IS THIS YOUR KID???" One of them said, "He's not mine, but I'm watching him" and then she pulled him aside and made him sit out. I just do not understand how someone could sit by and see their kid (or the kid they're watching) push another kid around like that!! It drives me crazy!
After the fact, I felt so guilty! Have any of you ever yelled at someone else's kid? It would sure make me feel better to hear about it!

10 comments:

Kelli Despain said...

What a little stinker that kid was. I am glad that you took charge, our kids are too young to stick up for themselves (and even if they weren't they are both too shy to do it). Interesting that the lady watching the kid just watched and let it happen. I say "way to go" we need to protect our kiddos for as long as we can.

Nicole said...

I can't believe some people! I would have done the same thing. My sister and I took our kids to the Nashville Science Center a couple months ago and there were tons of school groups there with no supervision. I feel like I yelled at every kid I saw! It's just annoying when you are actually watching your child and making sure they are behaving and other adults are standing there letting their kids run wild.

Mel said...

i would definitely have to say yes to that comment! but you know me...sometimes a little vocal and opinionated anyway. i think you did just fine! for sure something i would have done too! :)

R.M. said...

Kari I yell at other peoples kids all the time but only if they mess with my kids. One time a kid threw mulch in Jake's eyes and I screamed "what is wrong with you?"...I did actually feel bad for saying that. I think what you did was fine. Good job!

R.M. said...

By the way if Jake was doing that to another kid I would want a parent to yell at him for me (if I didn't see it).

WinnFamily said...

I love this story! I always get so annoyed at other parents who let their kids attack your kid and don't say a word to their kid. I usually give their parents time to do something, but if they keep hurting my kid, I just might step in and yell!

Harding Family said...

I think the real question is, who hasn't yelled at someone else's kid? I have issues with playgrounds at restaurants like McDonald's for that very reason. It usually takes less than that to set me off, so I think you showed great restraint!

Anonymous said...

Amen sister!!! What a total punk kid and I would have not been so nice the first time! I would have asked where his mom was right away...and yes my kids are embarrassed by me-hee!

Hannah Stayner said...

You are too nice! ha ha. I wouldn't have even thought twice about yelling at someone else's kid in a situation like that.

Brad Milkwick said...

I would throw that little snot-rat into the pool.