Thursday, April 10, 2008


Walk for Autism


This year will be Salt Lake City's very 1st Walk for Autism and we are very excited to be a part of it! We have formed a team in honor of our son, Noah, to walk in support of this cause. We are walking on May 3rd at Cottonwood High School. Noah was diagnosed with Pervasive Developmental Disorder (aka PDD-NOS) about 8 months ago, which is a form of Autism. Even though it is a milder form of autism, for which we are grateful, it still breaks my heart to see him struggle with things that should come naturally. The worst for him is eating--many kids with a disorder like this have trouble processing sensory input. When he eats a cracker (which I have to bribe him to do) you'd think he was eating a razor blade from the look on his face and the way he shakes! We keep working with him and hopefully he'll start to actually like crunchy things. He is behind in his language, although he has made amazing progress. He attends a regular preschool and loves it. We have alot to be grateful for. Autism affects every child differently, and there are so many that can't communicate AT ALL. It is so devastating--can you imagine how hard it would be to never be able to have a real relationship with your child? There is no cure and we still don't have any real answers as to what causes it! This is why we are doing something about it!!

We are doing a fundraiser as well for Autism Speaks to go towards autism research. I set a goal of $10,000 (which I was originally very worried about setting it so high), but we have currently raised $7,886!!!! And we have 3 weeks to go! I really think we'll reach our goal! That is so amazing to me and I'm so grateful for the love and support of so many people! To see our team page, please go to www.walknowforautism.org/utah/team/teamnoah If you can help in this very worthy cause, we would be eternally grateful!! If you can't donate, but would like to walk with us, please let me know--we would love to have you!! Thank you to all of you who have already done so much!! WE LOVE YOU!!

3 comments:

WinnFamily said...

I'm excited for the walk!

Brittany said...

Kari,

I'm sorry to hear about Noah's diagnosis. He is so sweet. I wish we could come and be a part of the walk with you.

Brittany

R.M. said...

All I have to say is that I am so proud of all the money you have raised Kari! You rock! I know that is a tough job because I did it last year! You have done an amazing job!